Comics: Being Sensitive

I used to do Hari Raya greeting illustrations many years ago. Initially I didn't know that dogs were sort of "forbidden" in Muslim religion because it is regarded as dirty. I was later advised by many non-Muslim friends not to put it. But on the other hand, my Muslim readers said it was alright because Kopi the dog is part of my comic series and not something I came up only for Hari Raya. In fact, after removing him from the picture, they felt quite sad because it feels as if a family member was missing. In the following year, I posted another one with me, Kopi and Matcha, wishing all Muslim fans Happy Hari Raya. But again, I was accused by non-Muslim readers as being insensitive and they told me to remove Kopi. I had to reply and explain that I checked with my Muslim friends and fans that it was ok... :(

So although I greatly appreciate advises, but sometimes we may assume too much.

Because I was always accused of being insensitive and need to explain every single time, I eventually stopped drawing Hari Raya greetings...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where to buy COPIC markers in Tokyo

Boiled coke and ginger lemon for cough