Boiled coke and ginger lemon for cough

Boiled coke ginger lemon cold remedy

This post has nothing to do with Japan, except that I have the tendency to fall sick during long Japanese holidays like year end and golden week. So with weak Japanese medicine not working, and even with kiwis and lemon honey drink all failing, I resorted to my friend's advice: coke and ginger.

It sounded unusual so I googled and found the recipe. Amazingly, many people swear that it works wonder to cure their coughs and sore throats, so I decided to try out of desperation because I had already been coughing for four days and four nights.

Preparation:
Put a can of coke (around 350ml) and sliced ginger into a pot and bring to boil, simmer for 10 mins. You can either add lemon when it was simmering or squeezed lemon juice after you pour into your mug.
*I couldn't get old ginger from my Japanese supermarket so I used young ginger that was not so spicy.

Verdict:
I couldn't believe it, but it tasted rather good! Even my friend who disliked ginger said this remedy tasted great! There was a tingling burning sensation down my throat and warmed up my body. I drank it at 9pm and it did clear my sinus and throat immediately, until I woke up at 3am coughing out phlegm and clearing my reservoir of mucus in my mouth. So I decided to try again for the next two days just before I sleep. It sorta helped my sinus and coughing, but my pharmaceutical friend warned me that coke contains advance glycation end products that promotes aging and inflammation, so it is better not to drink so much, moreover one can of coke contains nearly 10 sugar cubes!!! No wonder it tasted so sweet :P~

I would recommend this if your cold, sore throat and cough is due to catching a cold/chill. I am not sure if it will cure heaty cough (for example, caused by eating too much fried food or late nights). For heaty cough, I would recommend loquat (pipagao in Chinese).

Replacement:
I guess nobody expected the miracle drink to not cure the sick by its third dose, so I changed to ginger honey drink. I sliced the ginger thinly this time in hope of increasing its potency. Preparation is the same, boil water, put in the ginger slices, and continue boiling for 10mins. Then add lemon juice and/or honey to taste. It certainly didn't taste as good as coke ginger, and the burning sensation rather dampened down. But I think it works almost as well.

Also try:
Lemon Ginger Honey Drink
Lemon Ginger Honey (in a jar)

If you have a good cold remedy to share, feel free to let me know too!!!


Comments

  1. he-he, modern alchemy in action :)

    I am so curious about it, prolly will try this weekend. Please, be careful about it, once I left can of coke in a drawer, and in about couple years I found that coke dissolved bottom part of can and did alot of mess around.

    I hope that You are feeling better, Kray.

    ewww...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ewww!

      I also heard about this can-dissolving story before, but the solution won't stay inside our digestive system for that long :P
      But the sugar content is definitely worrying, so I'm cooking ginger chicken soup now :)

      Delete
    2. He-he, ginger chicken soup ... Please post pictures.
      It is lunch time, and I am starving :lol:

      ewww...

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Wish granted, here it is:
      https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AHked18ry09DEvVYrIn-KDgdpIQ7EqsgKjoHKkJXGek?feat=directlink

      Delete
    5. Awww... What a wonderful soup!

      Did You eat it alone? I mean, that kind of meal is designed to share with friends :)

      Ok, I am going back to my day nap, and I will dream about Your soup ... ewww ...

      Delete
    6. Yes it was for lunch and dinner ;)

      Delete
  2. Granny style recipies to cure a malady...most of them are really effective. For a sorethroat I recommend is Tamarillo with honey...if you can´t find Tamarillo, because I would bet that in Japan is as rare as pasion fruit...then go with the honey with melted butter and lemmon...it even tastes great and helps a lot with a sore throat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. melted butter!? you drink it!?

      Delete
    2. Well more than drink I woudl say eat, it is so thick that you need to chew and break it down in your mouth before swallow

      Delete
    3. =___= somehow I am reluctant to give this a try XD

      Delete
  3. ten sugar cubes? Yeah and the rest! You've been told wrong! According to that food programme on tv a year back a large glass of coke has 15 tablespoons of sugar in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow maybe the can is of different size? 15 tablespoon is deadly!

      Delete
  4. Interesting, the world never fails to amaze me :))
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chilled coke with salt helps with heatiness and heaty cough ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where to buy COPIC markers in Tokyo